
"This being human is a guest houseEvery morning a new arrival.A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awarenesscomes as an unexpected visitor.Welcome and entertain them all!Even if they are a crowd of sorrows, who violently sweep yourhouse empty of furniture, still treat each guest honorably.He may be clearing you out for some new delightThe dark thought, the shame, the malice, meet them at thedoor laughing, and invite them in.Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as aguide from beyond.” - Rumi
I marvel over how much practice it takes to follow this wisdom from Rumi. Mornings when I meditate, I see and greet my emotions, paying attention to who the “new arrivals” are each day. But when I skip morning meditation, it is much too easy just to roll into habitual actions that don’t demand that I pay attention, basically slighting the “guests” of my emotions. It’s like saying, “Oh, yeah right; you’re here! Help yourself to whatever is in the kitchen— hope it’s sufficient!” I would never treat a guest this way, so why do I sometimes treat my Self this way?
So, my first step is forming the habit again- being consistent with morning meditation. It’s the equivalent of “showing up on the mat”. I’m batting about 50% right now when it comes to AM meditation. I can do better.
And then there’s another step, born out of the first: making it a habit motivated by commitment to my own deep goal rather than a habit of just going through the motions. In the organization where I work, we often speak of students acting “out of engagement rather than compliance”. I find it amazing that I can slip into “acting out of compliance” even when I am my own teacher! I have to *allow* myself to engage. That probably means greeting some surprising visitors. I’m sure I’ll learn from them.
Being busy does not equal being alive. This being human takes practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment