Particular words carry power. They act as a beacon providing
guidance, a sword slicing through awareness, a mantra giving focus. Lately, the
word “nourishment” has been this beacon. I found myself trying to describe what
was lacking about a recent meal that was “fine” but not satisfying, and after
searching about, I said, “It just wasn’t nourishing.”
My companion nodded his head knowingly and instantly understood. I was reminded
of a comment about pornography – that it is difficult to describe, but boy, do
you know it as soon as you see it. “Nourishing” feels the same to me…a bit hard
to define with clear boundaries, but something your body knows.
Freshly reminded of the power of the singular question,
“Does this nourish me?” I discovered heightened awareness about what I took in.
I noticed a craving for leafy green salads for the next seven days straight. I
increased my intake of fruits and other veggies. I turned down meats, desserts,
and snacks far more often – not because I was “supposed” to, but because I was
super-tuned to how my body felt after eating or not eating certain foods. I
wasn’t asking, “What do I crave? What sounds delicious? What do I have on hand?”
I wasn’t even asking, “What’s local and/or organic?” I realized that all of
those questions are far more cerebral. By asking, “Will this nourish me?” I was
tapping into my body’s wisdom instead – a kind of mindfulness that I am not yet
practiced at.
And now, I am just beginning to toy with applying the same
question to aspects of my life beyond food. “Does this nourish me?” works when
considering how I spend my free time, whom I spend time with, what we do and
discuss.
Definition. Powerful questions as light posts.
No comments:
Post a Comment