2.02.2014

Cultivating Attitudes

image

As I enter this formal study of yoga, I find myself remembering with fondness the last experience I had with a fairly formal self-chosen path of study: interning at Sunspot Urban Farm. Sunspot is a a community-supported agriculture farm that supplies 26 families with generous weekly shares of 40 organic crops from their residential garden.
I had always been in love with the idea if gardening, but in truth I was an unsuccessful gardener. Four summers ago, Bruce and I went on a bicycle tour of local farms in Fort Collins, and both of us were immediately drawn to Rod and Amy of Sunspot: they were humble, passionate, and hyper-attentive to craftsmanship in every realm, from garden beds to carpentry.
The next summer, I spent nearly every Sunday afternoon at Sunspot from February-October, finally learning how to garden properly and watching Rod and Amy live their motto of “rooted in the neighborhood”. 
At the time, I thought I was mostly learning local and organic gardening techniques. (I did, and we have now established a successful garden at our house!) However, I am coming to see that I am only beginning to take advantage of some other lessons learned from Rod and Amy, many of which link directly with what I am learning about the path of yoga. 
This quote from Jeff Bailey and Gene Langlois’ forthcoming book, The Yoga Mind, (from the explication of Yoga Sutra 33) screamed Sunspot to me:
"Regardless of the circumstances, your ongoing practice is to be kind and appropriate in every situation. To teach is to demonstrate. What you offer to others, whether loving or fearful, you offer to yourself."  
This is why I was drawn to Rod and Amy, because in them I instantly recognized, “Teachers” - the right teachers for me at that time, and for reasons that went far beyond gardening skills and knowledge. They are yogis, masters at dedicated practice, observation, acceptance, and connection to other, arising from kindness.
As I study asana now like I studied gardening, I am more aware that the external practice is a gateway to internal practice. And I am very grateful to my many teachers who offer lessons on both levels.
The photo is of Rod, Amy, and me after harvesting leeks. Hands = my favorite gardening tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment